Northeast Mississippi Junior College was incorporated in Prentiss County in 1941. The original plant was completed and opened to students in 1948 as an agricultural high school and junior college comprising Alcorn, Prentiss, Tippah, Tishomingo, and Union Counties. The following year, the name was changed to reflect junior college status only. Since that time, the institution has expanded its offerings in curriculum and physical facilities.
In 1948, the College’s Board of Trustees empowered the College to grant the Associate of Arts Degree. This was followed with the Associate of Science in Nursing in 1957. In 1958, Northeast became affiliated with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools as an accredited institution. During subsequent years, certificates were authorized for vocational education and in 1978 the College began awarding the Associate of Applied Science Degree.
On August 1, 1987, Northeast Mississippi Junior College became Northeast Mississippi Community College, by action of the State board of Trustees for Community and Junior Colleges. Responding to the high-tech demands of a rapidly expanding industrial base and the community as a whole, the College established the Division of Community and Economic Development in 1995. The institution serves thousands of persons each year through start-up training programs and industrial upgrading courses provided for local industries.
In the Fall of 2000, the College began offering a limited number of classes via internet through the Mississippi Virtual Community College (MSVCC), a consortium of 13 colleges who share instructional resources to students throughout the state. In 2002, MSVCC and each of its members received accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In August 2003, the Board of Trustees approved a plan to begin developing Northeast at New Albany into an instructional center. The College notified the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools that it was ready to fully develop the New Albany off-campus site into a comprehensive instructional site and in February 2007, SACS representatives visited the site and approved the center without recommendation.
Northeast is located in the northeastern part of Mississippi, approximately 190 miles north of Jackson, Mississippi, and 100 miles southeast of Memphis, Tennessee. It is easily accessible by U.S. Highway 45 and 145 and state highways 4 and 30. Northeast is an open admission institution that exists to meet the educational and career needs of individual students and the community within the district it serves.